These pancakes have been my go-to for when I want a savoury snack or a quick lunch. You can enjoy them simply on their own, cover them with your favourite toppings or use them as a vessel for your main proteins.
The bulk of the recipe never changes, and from there you can get creative.
- Grate raw potatoes. 1 potato should yield about 4 pancakes.
- Soak the grated potatoes in water. This will rinse off the starch.
- Strain the potatoes and squeeze out as much water as possible from the grated potatoes. I use my hands, but you can also use paper towels or cheesecloth.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of flour, 1 egg, salt and pepper, and your favourite herbs.
- This is where you can add whatever you like. I like to add garlic powder, chopped yellow onions, green onions, grated cheese and chopped rosemary.
- Once all ingredients are mixed together, heat about 3 Tbsp oil in a pan, enough for a shallow deep fry.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Undercooking will leave you with raw potato in the centres.
- Cool on rack or paper towels. Serve with your favourite condiments. We love to have it with sour cream and chopped green onions, or ketchup and hot sauce. Enjoy!